Register now at www.tinyurl.com/2024LBHC.
2024 Long Beach Homeless Count
- Thursday, January 25, 2024
- The Grand Long Beach
- 4101 E Willow St.
The City of Long Beach’s Department of Health and Human Services is seeking 300 community volunteers to help conduct the 2024 Long Beach Homeless Count.
The Count is the City’s street count of people experiencing homelessness in Long Beach, taking place on Jan. 25, 2024. The Count is a communitywide effort that provides an opportunity for residents and local businesses to actively help, learn more about people who are experiencing homelessness and gain an understanding of the resources available to address homelessness in Long Beach. The Count is vital in determining the scope of homelessness, defining existing resources available and identifying gaps to better serve these individuals.
Volunteers can register online now at www.tinyurl.com/2024LBHC to be a part of a field team. Groups of three to five volunteers will canvass a segment of Long Beach to count and survey people experiencing homelessness. Volunteers will be provided with gift cards and hygiene kits to offer. If more than 300 people register to volunteer for the Count, people will be added to a waitlist.
To volunteer for the Count, people must:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Attend a two-hour orientation and training prior to the day of the Count. Orientations will be held both virtually and in person and will occur in early January.
- Commit to a four-hour canvassing shift on Thursday, Jan. 25, 2024. Volunteers will be expected to report at 4:30 a.m. and dispatched to the field by 5 a.m.
Other Ways to Support:
In addition to volunteering for a field team, you are also invited to help raise awareness and recruit other volunteers to participate in the Homeless Count! You are welcome to share this opportunity in your networks and on social media or by providing physical and/or monetary donations.
To financially contribute towards the Homeless Count, you can donate online to the Mayor’s Fund to End Homelessness and type “Homeless Count – Mayor’s Fund” in the Additional Comments box here: https://longbeachcf.org/funds/mayors-fund-to-end-homelessness. Donations can also be made by check. Check donations may be mailed to Long Beach Community Foundation, 400 Oceangate, Suite 800, Long Beach, CA 90802. Please make check payable to “Long Beach Community Foundation” and write “Homeless Count – Mayor’s Fund” in the memo section of the check. These tax-deductible donations will be used towards gift cards and other incentives for individuals being surveyed on the day of the Count.
In addition to volunteering, the City is also seeking donations of socks, travel-sized hygiene products, bottled water and small gift cards of $5 to $10, which will be distributed during the Count. Physical donation items can be dropped off at the following locations:
- All Long Beach Public Library locations during regular operating hours (libraries are closed Sundays and Mondays)
- Boys and Girls Club of Long Beach (3635 Long Beach Blvd.), from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekdays.
- Scherer Park Community Center, (4654 Pasadena Ave.), from 3 to 6 p.m. on weekdays
- Long Beach Multi-Service Center, (1301 W 12th St.), 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.
By Savana Doudar, City of Long Beach